Friday, January 9, 2009

All In!

I am a grad school student now! I can't wait to start going back to school after a nearly 8-month hiatus. Well, why back to grad school? There are several reasons:

1. The Economy. Most everyone who graduated in the past year is having trouble finding a job in something they love, with few exceptions. As for me. I don't want to work a dead-end job anymore. I want to take control of my destiny. My life. I spent last semester on the sidelines because I wanted to see if I can land a job on my own. Found some interesting companies, but no jobs came up. I'm going back to school because there are better jobs out there that I can get with an advanced degree. I gotta buckle down so I finish my degree before 2011.

2. The surroundings. I miss being on campus, with friends as well as professors who push me to work hard and study hard. I enjoy the atmosphere even though the classes suck. But I gotta suck 'em up and do my best to survive and finish, then I can relax. I relaxed too much & now I am starting to fall behind. At least I know most of the faculty I would be learning from.

3. My experience. It seems like most jobs these days require experience on top of a college degree. Also, resources that were supposed to help you ends up being useless. I am an assistant-manager now @ Sears, but it is a job that is not satisfying & not worthwhile in the long run as I seek a better job to no avail. My internship for my senior research project is no good because the non-profit organization I worked with my senior semester (who needs us students to come up with a plan to keep it alive) is no longer operating, losing a valuable resource and against my future goals. At least I am building up resources during my time away to make myself a better person and to work smarter and harder to better shape me as I go through a grueling 2-year process of going from a BA to an MBA.

4. The Lifestyle. I like the fact that classes are once a week (including one online). But sadly, my friday nights (@ least early evenings for two and a half months) will be in a classroom on a dead campus. It's something I am willing to sacrifice for the short-term for a better career later. I also have fridays off anyway, so its no big deal & I can go to my friend's events afterward.

5. The Sacrifice. I am paying big now to make it big later. 'Nuff said.

Well, that's why I'm going back to school. Real Life can wait! Parties can be on hold too. Time to hit the books again! I also will be busy next week with only 3 shifts, a friend graduating from HPU, as well as VIP greenside on the #17th Hole @ the Sony Open in Hawaii. Late.

-D-Rockmoney

No comments: